Image

Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Poem that Means A Lot

A fellow Chromosome 6 Mom posted this poem on her Facebook page today.  I love it so I thought I'd share.

My chromosomes may be different
But my feelings the same.
I laugh and I cry;
I take pride in my gains.

I was sent here among you
To teach you to love.
As God in the Heavens,
Looks down from above.

To Him I’m no different;
His love knows no bounds
It’s those here among you
In cities and towns
 
That judge me by standards
That man has imparted.
But the family
He’s chosen will help me get started.
 
For I’m one of His children
So special and few
That came here to learn
The same lessons as you.

That love is acceptance;
It must come from the heart.
We all have the same purpose
Though not the same start.

The Lord gave me life to live and embrace
And I’ll do it as you do - just at my own pace.

The poem I saw on Facebook didn't have a source/author.  I did some google searching and believe this was written by Emma Jane Rae and entitled the Down Syndrome Creed. It had been adapted slightly at the beginning to say "My Chromosomes may be Different" instead of "My Face May be Different." 

No comments:

Post a Comment