Image

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Raspberry Streusel Coffee Cake

A few weeks ago, a fellow MOPS Mom (Sheila) brought the absolute YUMMIEST coffee cake to our meeting.  It was simply scrumptious.  I asked her for the recipe as I secretly prayed that she would share it with me.  And lucky for me she did.  I was so excited to try it and figured I could make it for one of our Easter Celebrations but for the first time in years, I was asked to bring something other than dessert.  So...I pouted for awhile and then I came to the conclusion that I was just going to make it for my family.  Yep, that's right, I made an entire 13X9X2 pan of yumiliciousness (is that a word?) for 2 adults and 1 toddler.  Paul ended up taking half of it to work because it was a bit much for us to finish off but it was so worth it!  I thought I'd share it with you all too:



Raspberry Streusel Coffee Cake

3 ½ cups unsweetened raspberries
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 ¼ cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
BATTER:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cold butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
TOPPING:
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
¼ cup butter, softened
½ cup chopped pecans
GLAZE:
          ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
          2 teaspoons milk
          ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large saucepan, cook raspberries and water over medium heat for 5 minutes.  Add lemon juice.  Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into fruit mixture.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Cool.
       
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in eggs, sour cream and vanilla (batter will be stiff).  Spread half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.  Spread raspberry filling over batter; spoon remaining batter over filling.  Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over top.  Bake at 350o for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.  Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm cake. 

Enjoy! 

(Thanks, Sheila)


3 comments:

  1. This looks really mouthful, im looking forward to try this one soon.

    Cody

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got it. The print recipe button is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made twice within a week. I applaud all the work and time you devoted to this exceptional brilliant coffee cake. This is my new go-to for brunches!

    ReplyDelete