Image

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Something New for Date Night

Paul and I try to go on one date night a month.  Usually we just end up going to a movie because that's easiest.  This month we (OK...I) decided to do something different.  I found a deal for Glass Blowing on Living Social and was excited to give it a try.  

The studio was located in a really old building in downtown.  It's a building that I've driven by many times but I had no idea there was an art studio/bead shop/glass blowing studio inside.  It was a quaint little place with a cute old dog that greets you when you walk in.   The studio was small and full of oxygen concentrators, propane tanks, and a few torches.  Our teacher gave us a brief history on glass, familiarized us with the equipment, and then let us jump in and give it a try right away.  I have to say I was a bit nervous as the only safety measure we used was this awesome eye protection.



I have never played in an open flame before and I couldn't believe we didn't have to sign a waiver or wear gloves or at least write down an emergency contact.  I also couldn't believe Paul let me play in a flame because let's face it - I'm a bit totally accident prone.  



The instructor made it look so easy, but it was so much harder than it appeared.


I am so glad we went though.  It was a nice change of pace from our typical movie and we made it home with some pretty cute "masterpieces".

Our Fish

Isn't he cute?

I also got to make a bead.  And even though I'd like to say I made this little cup, I didn't.  Our instructor demonstrated this technique for us and let us keep it.

All and all this date night was a lot of fun and as an added plus, we didn't even burn our fingers off!

No comments:

Post a Comment