Image

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Parker turns FOUR with a Curious George Party

It may be over a month late but I wanted to post about Parker's birthday!   

On August 7th, Parker turned FOUR!!!


That's a little hard to wrap my mind around.  Four years ago my little man was born and that day and those that followed were full of such mixed emotions.  We were so happy to meet our new son and so scared because he was really sick and on so many machines that were keeping him alive.  We didn't understand all that was happening, we had so many questions but couldn't put them into words and we couldn't help asking "Why".   I never doubted that there was a reason for all of it and I fully felt God's presence during that time but it was still very difficult.

There have been three different hospital stays in Parker's life where I experienced a true fear that we wouldn't get to bring him home.  He was that sick and I was that scared.  What a horrible thing for a parent to experience.  Most of the truly scary moments occurred prior to Parker's first birthday and that's why when he turned ONE we wanted to celebrate!  Each year that has passed, Parker gets a bit stronger, is sick less often and makes wonderful strides and progress.  But the feeling to celebrate each year older is still strong and still important to us.  Thank you God for letting us have this wonderful little guy in our lives for another year!!!

So, this year, on Parker's 4th birthday we wanted to do something special for him.  This is a little trickier than it sounds because Parker doesn't enjoy the things other kids his age might.  Paul came up with a great idea though.  He suggested that since Parker loves Curious George so much, we should rent out the old Joyo Theatre and show the Curious George movie on the big screen!!  Wow is my husband smart!

So that is exactly what we did!  I found a free Curious George Birthday Invitation Template on-line.


Then I just had to invite people. Since we've sheltered Parker so much and kept him away from other kids, he didn't really have any of his own friends I could invite. This made me nervous that we wouldn't have many people to celebrate with.  I was very pleasantly surprised when so many people that are familiar with Parker (even if they've never met him) said they'd like to come to his party.   There was a great turn-out of 45+ people at this party and I think fun was had by all.
Parker with Ms. Suzanne

Getting ready to sing Happy Birthday

Enjoying Eileen's Cookies...yum!

Parker with the Stevens' Family

Paul and I (well, mostly Paul) made this super cute Curious George cut-out that we used as a decoration for the party.  Each of the kids got to stand behind it and get their picture taken.  

Parker didn't love it as much as we had hoped



For favors, each of the kids got a Curious George book, banana and a balloon.



Overall, I'd say the day was a great success and I think Parker had a very special day!



No comments:

Post a Comment