Image

Thursday, July 3, 2014

My Two Favorite Wheat Free/Fructose Friendly-ish Desserts


#1 Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies  


I've always been a chocolate chip cookie girl.  I probably whipped up a batch of them at least once a month since Paul and I have been married.

No, seriously.  It was a problem.  Especially since I would make an extra large batch and keep them in the freezer so we could munch on them anytime we wanted.  

But since my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe is full of flour and sugar, I needed an alternative.  I haven't found a wheat-free chocolate chip cookie that I really like so when  I came across this Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe on the Food Network website, I thought I would give it a try.

And I love it.

I've made it at least 5 times since getting my Fructose Malabsorption Diagnosis.  And I  made it again today.

The only substitution I make is that I use 1/2 of a cup of dextrose and 1/2 of a cup of sugar instead of 1 cup of sugar.  Also, I don't always use sea salt on top and you really don't need to.  I just dip the fork tines in sugar.

So check it out:  Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe



#2 Wheat Free Berry Crumble

I've always liked making fruit crumbles or fruit crisp.  When I first got my FM diagnosis I was afraid I could never eat fruit again.  Luckily, that's not the case.  I just have to figure out what fruits I can have and stay away from the rest.  So, when I found this Blueberry Peach Crumble (100% whole grain + gluten free) I only had to make minor modifications to make it work for me.

I make the topping exactly as directed.  For the filling, I use fruits that I can tolerate (I like to use strawberries, blueberries and/or raspberries).  I also substitute Dextrose for the white sugar.   Finally, I double the recipe and use 4 Ramekins.  Two of the Ramekins are 4" in diameter and two are 3.25" in diameter.  This way Paul and I each get a larger one, Alexa gets a small one and then I have one left over for dessert the next day!

Super yum!  Give THESE a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment