Image

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My New Years Resolutions (a bit late)

1. Give up chocolate.  

Well, not for the whole year or anything crazy like that but for the month of January.  I maybe overdid it in the chocolate department around Christmas and I feel like I need to make up for it.

Yes, I am grumpy since we are now 23 days in.

And yes, I have cheated three times.  But I promise there were legitimate reasons each time.

Promise.  

2. Go to church more.

On a fairly consistent basis, we have been able to get a nurse to watch Parker twice a month so Paul, Alexa and I can attend church together.  We are hoping to boost that up to three times per month.  Neither Paul or I are very good about attending church without the other one but I'm going to try to do better about this when we can't get a nurse.

3. Find a new hobby.

Right now my main hobby is baking.  That's great and all except that my metabolism doesn't work as well as it used to.  This is making me sad...and chubby.  And since we all know how much I detest exercise I guess I'll have to do better about cutting back in the dessert area.

I did stumble upon a new blog today that I'm pretty fascinated with.   It's written by Ana White who is a mother and homemaker in Alaska who builds stuff.  Really awesome stuff.  I'm inspired and now have all sorts of crazy ideas.  I may have to convince Paul to let me use a power tool or two which may or may not be a good idea but we'll see what comes of this.  I've also been inspired a lot by all of the DIY projects on Pinterest so maybe my new hobby will simply be creating things and discovering my more crafty side.

4. Step out of my comfort zone and allow God to use me and my experiences for a bigger purpose.

I've already started to do this.  I don't believe I have mentioned on this blog that I took a leadership role with my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group this past fall.  I am now the finance coordinator.  I actually like it very much and was pretty ecstatic that we were able to come in $3.00 under budget for our fall semester.

Anyway, I'm getting off track.  The coordinator of our group asked me if I would be willing to speak to the group about my experience with Parker.  My initial reaction was to run and hide.  However, I felt a tugging at my heart like I've never experienced before.  After telling God "No" for several weeks I finally agreed to do it.

If you know me very well at all you know that public speaking is not a strong suit of mine.  In fact, in high school and college when I was asked to speak to the class, I would get VERY nervous, get a blotchy rash, shake like a leaf and I came very close to passing out on several occasions.  After all, I'm the girl who eloped in Hawaii to avoid a big, church wedding where I would have to be the center of attention.  However, I have agreed to speak to the group of 30+ women and I think I'm feeling at peace with it.  I'm trusting God and hoping that sharing my story will be helpful for some of the Moms who attend our group.  My topic is going to be "When Life Doesn't Go as Planned".  Wish me luck and pray that I don't pass out.

So, that's it.  Four resolutions.  They are all do-able and realistic so hopefully I can be successful.  I should add "Exercise Four Times A Week" to the list but if I did that I'd probably just throw the whole thing out.  So, I'll stick with what I have and keep you updated on how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment